A global Amlaw 50 firm engaged Leadership for Lawyers and one of our consulting partners to train and coach their senior business development managers in business development concepts, tactics and strategies so that they can more effectively train and coach their business development managers.
Senior business development managers who have supervisory and direct lawyer advisement roles.
The goal of the program was to equip senior BD managers with the tools to effectively support practice and industry groups from a business development (sales) perspective, rather than primarily marketing support. The program was structured so that these managers could also support and train other business development managers and specialists in their firm.
The training consisted of two full day sessions and several webinars on topics of:
– How clients buy legal services (and how it is changing)
– Why BD is challenging for lawyers
– Personal brand, value proposition and verbal business card
– Business development philosophy, attitude and beliefs
– Building rapport and trust
– Consultative sales process for lawyers
– Developing a personal business development plan for lawyers
– Business development planning for groups
– Network development
– Pipeline management
– Prospecting and niche targeting
– Winning high stakes proposals and pitches
– Working with pricing professionals
– Overcoming obstacles and roadblocks
– Metrics that matter
– How to build respect and credibility with lawyers
– Coaching lawyers 101
Participants received one-on-one coaching for three months to discuss the application of training to real-world situations as well as specific issues they were facing with their practice/industry groups. Emphasis was placed on helping participants improve coaching and internal consulting skills, creative problem solving and conflict management.
Each of the participants reported increased competence and confidence in helping practice and industry groups with identifying prospects, managing pipeline, consultative sales and coaching attorneys.